When should you install a rubber roofing systems in Lancaster PA
Where Should Rubber Roofs Be Installed?
Rubber Roofing is meant to be installed on low pitch roofs or low slope roofs.
What is Low Pitch?
A low pitch roof is generally referred to as a pitch of a roof that is 3/12 or lower. What is 3/12? That means that for every 12 feet of horizontal length there is 3 feet of vertical drop. So if you come out 12 feet away from your house your roof would be 3 feet lower that where you started.
Shingles Are Not An Option
For these roofs shingles are not even an option.
Do Not Waste Your Time With Rolled Ashpalt
Rolled asphalt is an option but only comes with a 5 year warranty so I do not want you to waste your hard earned money so I do not offer that as an option.
Graystone Roofing & Siding we install rubber roofs which are also referred to as EPDM or ethylene propylene diene monomer. This provides for a high quality and leak proof roof that can last 30 plus years. It is flexible and durable and has a high resistance to the elements and weather. Rubber roofing material comes in 10′ x 20′ and 20′ x 100′ rolls.
Highly Durable Roofing Material
Every time the temperature changes there is expansion and contraction of the roof, and the rubber or EPDM expands and contracts with the roof. As with all roofing material there is a manufactures suggested way of installing to ensure your roof is under warranty.
How Does Install Go and What To Look For
While you are interviewing roofers to install your rubber roof ask them how they install their rubber roofs.
- First the old roofing material should be removed down to the decking.
- Then ensure the decking is clean and dry and in good shape.
- Next Fiber Board – is screwed down with plates and screws
- The rubber will then be laid out on the roof deck and then overhang by about 3 inches. Any needed cut outs will be made for pipes and chimneys. The rubber should extend about 12″ up the wall behind the siding or up the sides of the chimney and secure with a metal termination bar
- Next you glue the rubber down
- Then you install drip edge over the rubber where it overhangs the roof
- Then you install the edge tape where the edge flashing meets the rubber. Any seams need to be sealed using 6″ seam tape.