If your roof is leaking don’t panic.
Each week as I am going out and checking on customers roofing issues, this is the most common question I get is “Should I repair or replace my leaky roof?”.
This is not always an easy question to answer, but through roof inspection will help you make an informed decision
I understand that the property owner wants to do what is best for them. And each person’s circumstances are different.
You will want to consider:
- How long you plan to stay in the house.
- How long will the potential repair last.
- What is the cost of roof repair versus roof replaced?
- Do I have it in my budget?
- When I sell my house will I recoup the cost of the roof replacement?
- Will buyers even notice the shingle in the repaired area are a slightly different color? (I bet they won’t – I do my best to make it match)
Not Every Leaking Roof Requires Replacement – Most are just minor repair that can be a quick fix.
Some of those minor roofing repair we see are:
Plumbing Boot Is Damaged
This is not a big. We just replace the worn out and damaged boot, put back under the shingles and caulked as necessary.
Improperly Nailed Shingles
We like to check more than just the one location that is leaking. An easy fix and you can relax again your leaking roof is fixed.
Bad Flashing Around The Chimney
Gutters and Downspouts Are Not Draining
Sometimes the issues is not even the roof. If your downspouts are clogged and not allowing the water to drain, well that is a problem. Keep your gutters and down spouts free of debris and leaves. Yes we can handle this issue for you.
Yes we know Roof Repair or Roof Replacement is often low on your choices of what to spend your money on.
The cost of replacing your roof can get pretty costly. Did you know when you sell your home the sellers disclosure will ask the seller about the stability of the roof.
- You will need to document when the roof was installed?
- Has there been any repairs of replacements during your ownership?
- Has the roof ever leaked?
- And do you have and problems with roof, gutters or downspouts?
On the Sellers Disclosure Many people like to answer this topic with a confident “No Problems” and strengthen the selling position helps make their roof repair or replace decision easier.
You may also want to take into consideration how long you plan to stay in or keep the home.
What really should matter is the comfort and safety of the people that are living on the home whether that be yourself or tenants. And really if you plan on staying in the home for a long time to come may help you lean toward roof replacement.
Get A Roof Inspection – To Make An Informed Decision
Give me a call at 717-725-7170 or fill out the contact form and allow me to come to your home to give you my expert roofing opinion.
The more you know the better able you will be to make a decision for roof repair or roof replacement that is best for you.